other topics: click a “category” or use search box
The theme of the AOGPE conference this year is “Opening the Doors to Excellence in Multisensory Teaching: The Orton-Gillingham Approach.”
The conference will be held in Toronto, Canada, April 23-24, 2010, at Havergal College. Passports are required for those traveling from the United States. (Visit www.travel.state.gov/passport) .
You may register online at http://www.ortonacademy.org .
Two keynote speakers, Gavin Reid, PhD, and Stephen M Wilkins, M.Ed., will focus on the the theme.
Presentations on math, writing, phonology, vocabulary and comprehension will be offered. There will be workshops for parents. Teaching demonstrations will be held.
The keynote address on Friday, April 23 by Stephen Wilikins, is “The Reading Teacher’s Guide to the Brain.” On Saturday, Gavil Reid will address “Making Learning Effective for Students with Dyslexia.”
Breakout sessions include
- O-G Multisensory Math + Manipulatives for Primary to Intermediate Grades (Marilyn Wardrop)
- English – Not One Language but Several (Diana H King)
- Using a New Taxonomy of Semantics in Creative Writing (Evelyn Reiss)
- Phonology: What You Need to Know Before You Pick Up Those Cards (Marcia Mann)
- Stages of Instruction for Decoding, Endoding, and Vocabulary (Karen K Leopold)
- Understanding Dyslexia in Children and Adults (Kay M Howell)
- Comprehension and All That Jazz! (Suzanne Carreker)
- Reading and Writing: Perfect Together! (David Katz)
- Let’s Play! Games and Activities for Structured Multisensory Teaching (Corey Zylstra)
- Coping With the Motor Component: Handwriting and Keyboarding (Diana King)
- Orton-Gillingham Early Intervention (Ron Yashimoto)
- Basic Principles for Teaching Content Area Subjects to Students With Dyslexia (Dana Blackhurst)
- What is the O-G Approach? (Rosalie Davis)
- Syllabification: the Second Tier for Decoding (Corey Zylstra)
- Dyslexia: Testing Times — Issues and Strategies for Identification + Assessment (Gavin Reid)
- So You Want to be an O-G Fellow? (Terri Peterson)
- Teaching O-G in an Urban High School Setting (Nancy Carroll + Deborah Foster)
- The O-G Approach and Morphology… Essential Interweaving (Jean Osman)
- The Fourth Grade Reading Slump: What, Why and How (Angela Wilkins)
- The Relationship of Spelling Errors to Diagnostic and Prescriptive Instruction (Susan Santora)
- Organize Your Orton-Gillingham Practice! (Andrea Greer Silver)
Fee for full conference (Friday and Saturday) is $135 if you’re a member, $145 if you’re not. Saturday only: $85 for members, $95 for non-members.
For more information call 845-373-8919 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
tutoring in Columbus OH: Adrienne Edwards 614-579-6021 or email email@example.com