compiled by Beth Probst, At The Core
[some national, some Ohio]
The “dog days” of summer are a great time to explore a student’s interests away from the daily grind of school–what do they like to do, what skills do they want to explore–all great stuff when thinking about their future! We’ve gathered up a few of our academic/career-minded favorites to share with you.
Important quote we read from one college admissions counselor…“It’s not the program/job/internship/experience – it’s what the student takes from it. There is no ‘hierarchy’ that says one experience is ‘better’ than another.” Just something to keep in mind–counselors will not view a program more favorably simply because it costs more money.
Be aware…some of these programs haven’t posted their new dates for 2018 yet so tuck this email away somewhere you can find it later. Pay attention to deadlines, pricing, and age restrictions.
Can you please take a moment to [share this] with your friends? It’s one of the most popular we do every year. They can join our mailing list too!
(We apologize to our out-of-town friends for lots of Ohio ideas. Use these ideas for a Google search to find similar programs in your area!)
- Space Camp in Huntsville, AL
- Illinois Aerospace Institute Summer Camp
- Air Camp in Dayton – Dates TBD
Offered by OSU:
- John Glenn College of Public Affairs Internship – Fall of HS senior year – Application deadline is 4/1.
- MD Camp
- 4-H Youth Development – leadership, camp counselors, science, sea, & shooting camps
- Ohio Supercomputer Center Summer Institute
- Summer Institute for Discovering Nursing
- Ross Mathematics Program
- Stone Lab Introductory Biology Coursework
- Explorations in Neuroscience
- Improving Diversity in Optometric Careers
- Humanities & Cognitive Sciences High School Summer Institute
STEM – Offered by Nationwide Children’s Hospital:
- Exploring the Scientific Method and Careers in Medical Research
- Mechanisms Of Human Health And Disease
- Stratford Ecological Center – Junior Camp Counselors (ages 13-17)
- Mount Carmel Explore Nursing Day – NOT a summer thing – March 10 – (How to register was unclear…Questions? Contact Mt Carmel email on webpage.)
- Ohio Wildlife Center – Wild Academy (ages 13-16) Eco Warriors
- B-WISER Science Camp – Buckeye Women In Science, Engineering, and Research Institute at the College of Wooster
- University of Dayton Engineering Outreach Programs – Several different choices
- Sally Ride Science Junior Academy for Girls
- Math Plus Academy Camps – CAMP ANNOUNCEMENT COMING SOON – include brain games, LEGO robotics & engineering, video game design, Shark Tank, chess, computer programming, STEMcraft, inventor’s workshop, girls only camps, & pre-algebra prep.
- Pharmacy Camp – University of Toledo
- Summer STEM Program US Naval Academy
- Worchester Polytechnic Institute
- iD Tech Camps at OSU – computer programming, coding, game design
- Robot Academy
- Game U – Coming soon
- Career Cornerstone Center – a national listing of programs
- Summer Linguistics Institute for Youth Scholars
- Camp OFLA (Ohio Foreign Language Association) – Coming soon
- Advanced Reading Concepts – COMING SOON – Speed reading courses – recommended highly!
- Thurber Summer Writing Camp – Dates coming soon
- E.W. Scripps School of Journalism Summer Workshop at Ohio University
- Accounting Careers Awareness Program
- Ohio Business Week
- Junior Executive Business Program for Diverse Students
- Columbus Museum of Art – Has some choices for middle schoolers
- Ohio Craft Museum – Teen summer art workshops – Dates coming soon
- University of Cincinnati DAAP Camps – Globally recognized College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning
- Summer Music Programs at Oberlin College
- Columbus Children’s Theatre – Summer programs not posted yet.
- Ohio State Marching Band Clinic
- Music For All Summer Symposium – New this year–Music Production!, Plus Band, Color Guard, Leadership, Middle School, Orchestra (Our own Vanessa H. can answer your questions about this camp–her daughter attended.)
- University of Cincinnati Summer Arts Immersion program – Musical theatre, voice, acting, ballet, & piano
Multiple program choices:
- The School of the New York Times Summer Academy – 33 different program choices
- Olentangy School District’s Summer Experience camps for grades 1-8 haven’t been published yet.
- Tolles and Delaware Area Career Center both have excellent camps with lots of program choices. 2018 dates have not been announced yet.
- Dublin and Powell both have summer programming (not announced yet)
- Columbus Academy Summer Experience – wide variety all ages
- Village Academy Summer Program – 2018 not posted yet
- Rustic Pathways – an example of study abroad type student experiences
- Northwestern University’s Midwest Academic Talent Search (NUMATS) – variety of programs for gifted students of all ages (Beth’s son did two sessions in Chicago. She can answer questions about it.)
- NUMATS Online programs and courses – WIDE variety of courses for every grade level
- Inspiring Girls Expeditions – Wilderness!
- Ohio Wildlife Center
- Dublin Area Summer Volunteer Opportunities
- Leaders Save Lives Scholarship Program offered by the Red Cross – Students coordinate a blood drive and gain leadership & community service experience.
- 50 Community Service Ideas for Teen Volunteers
- Volunteer at your local library – Delaware County, Westerville, Worthington, and various Columbus Metro branches. Check your local branch.
- Volunteer Match: lists tons of ever-changing volunteer opportunities in your area; can filter by age and area of interest
- FBI National Academy Youth Leadership Program
- Westerville Youth Police Academy
- American Legion Buckeye Boys State – For current juniors
- Guided Self Assessment is booking NOW for summer slots. Book a free family meeting to learn more.
- Heads Up! – Special workshop for 7, 8, & 9 grades – Summer dates coming soon (Workshop available in February)
- Tips for the College-Bound – Summer dates coming soon (Don’t wait until summer–Winter dates in February and March.)
- College Application Workshop – For class of 2019! Save the date…June 13 & June 27 tentative workshop dates. Details coming soon.
- Ohio Wesleyan OWjL Camp – Junior League (grades 6-8) – mathematics, logic, computing, science, humanities & creative development
- Wright State University Residential Camps: Architectural engineering, physics, digital photography, theater, leadership, and creative writing
- Ohio Northern Summer Camps – Honors institute, engineering for girls, Japan camp, music, & piano
- University of Dayton Entrepreneurship 101 program
- University of Findlay – Equestrian, pharmacy, theology, forensic science (waiting list),
- Education Unlimited – Various universities covering: public speaking camps, summer college admissions prep programs, science camps, summer acting camp, creative writing camp, computer camp, video production camp, and East Coast college tours.
- Carnegie Mellon University Pre-College Summer Program – Architecture, art, design, drama, music, & game academy.
- Otterbein University Martin W. Essex School for the Gifted and Talented – arts, sciences and humanities
- University of Toledo Global Leadership Experience – Public health, human trafficking, civic engagement, public education, mental health, clean water, power & fuel sustainability. 2018 dates 7/23-28 but webpage not up-to-date.
- Miami University (OH) Summer Scholars Program
- Duke Summer Sessions
- Stevens Institute of Technology Pre-College Programs – Cybersecurity, engineering design & architecture, pre-med biomedical engineering, pre-med biology, computer science, coding, game design, electronic music production, STEM law & policy, virtual reality, entrepreneurship, business explorer
- Granville School District provided this great list with lots of choices!
- Teen Life – National database of programs
- 2018 Summer Camp and Activities Expo – Olentangy Orange Middle School – March 15 – 6:00 to 8:00 pm
- Worthington Mall – February 11 – noon to 3:00 pm
- Upper Arlington at Tremont School – February 22 – 5:00 to 8:00 pm
- Grandview at Edison Middle School – March 1 – 6:00 to 7:30 pm
- Westerville North High School – March 7 – 5:30 to 7:30 pm
- Tire Rack Street Survival – Ohio date in April
- Honda Teen Defensive Driving Program
- Bloom Driving Car Control Drills Program – 2018 dates not published yet
- Distracted Driving Resources – for reading