other topics: use search box
Central Ohio’s Marburn Academy in Columbus is the premier school here for bright students who learn differently.
In addition to its regular school year, Marburn offers a rich group of summer programs to choose from.
Marburn’s Summer Language Program: July 2-31 2012
This exceptional language program is designed for students who need to improve their reading and writing skills. It has produced dramatic results in helping hundreds of dyslexic students discover the joy of becoming successful readers and writers.
The daily language curriculum includes:
- A one-to-one language tutorial , using the Orton-Gillingham approach to provide multisensory instruction in linguistic concepts for reading and spelling.
- Visualizing and Verbalizing and Making Meaning curricula for improving comprehension, retention and vocabulary.
- Composition: using computers to build fluency and improve creative use of language.
- Computer lab work, featuring keyboarding instruction and practice, computer art, desktop publishing of written compositions, and structured practice of reading and spelling skills. Students use the Lexia Learning fluency software.
The language Program is open to students between the ages of 7-12. July 2-31, 2012. Times: 8:45 am to 12:15 pm. Fee: $1800
Marburn’s Summer Mathematics Program: July 2-31, 2012
Learning mathematics should be fun, but students who struggle with basic facts or operations often don’t see it that way.
Marburn’s mathematics program was created to make learning active and enjoyable. It cultivates the mathematician within every kid. Students benefit from this program. because mathematics is taught in a social context, with hands-on experiential activities.
- Use manipulatives and high interest activities to develop number sense, understanding of operations, and to learn basic facts.
- Work cooperatively to test ideas and theories for deeper understanding.
- Use computer programs to practice individualized skills and build fluency.
- Learn strategies and shortcuts that make problem solving manageable.
The Math Program is open to children in grades 3 through 8. Dates: July 2-31, 2012, weekdays. Time: 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. Fee: $1300.
Marburn’s Summer Written Expression Program: July 2-31, 2012
This structured and sequentially presented program makes use of laptop computers, short engaging assignments, and a focused revision process. Through these methods students improve writing fluency, passage unity, word choice, and craftsmanship.
Students experience success using writing as a tool to communicate their thoughts. They become more enthusiastic writers.
The Written Expression Program includes:
- Creating a positive feeling toward writing by completing a variety of short poems; they will publish finished pieces.
- Encouraging creative word choice with group interaction and brainstorming to discover lively and precise language.
- Building and documenting fluency so words flow easily.
- Using an incremental revision process so students progress toward confidence and independence .
NOTE: This class is designed for successful readers who continue to struggle with forming ideas and age-appropriate written expression.
The Written Expression Program is open to children in grades 6 through 8. Dates: July 2-31, 2012, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Time: 1:00 pm t0 4:00 pm. Fee: $1,000.
Marburn’s Summer Phonemic Awareness Program: July 2-31, 2012
“Phonemic awareness” involves the ability to hear and identify the separate sounds and syllabic units that make up our words. This skill is now universally recognized as the single most important precursor skill for reading success.
For the youngest students who have low skills in identifying the sounds that make up our language, this highly enjoyable activity-based class is designed to improve phonemic awareness.
Marburn’s Written Expression Program includes:
- Auditory perception and discrimination.
- Fluency practice on the computer.
The Phonemic Awareness Program dates are: July 2-31, 2012, weekdays. Time: 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm. Fee: $700.
Marburn Academy is located at 1860 Walden Drive, Columbus OH 43229. Telephone 614-433-0822, ext. 107.
Marburn is a non-profit, independent and state-accredited school for children with learning disabilities. The Academy admits students without regard to race, color, creed or national origin.
Marburn Academy is an AOGPE accredited school. AOGPE is the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitionaers and Educators, which assures superior quality O-G language education.
Marburn Academy’s programs have received national recognition for excellence and innovation in education for non-traditional learners.
Minimum enrollment levels are necessary, and Marburn Academy reserves the right to cancel classes in which minimum enrollment is not achieved
Orton-Gillingham tutoring in Columbus OH: Adrienne Edwards 614-579-6021 or email email@example.com