other topics: use search box
Every year, Marburn Academy, the premier school in Columbus Ohio for bright children with learning differences, offers free seminars for parents in the community.
Marburn Academy was founded with a dual mission. The first goal was to provide the finest day school program possible for bright but learning-challenged students, along with related diagnostic services.
The second goal was to serve as a resource to the community at large, by providing valuable, free informational seminars to parents regarding the latest research on the brain and the diagnosis and treatment of learning differences.
This year upcoming seminars in 2011 are
- Tuesday September 13, 2011 at 7:00 pm — “When Children Struggle With Reading: Is It Dyslexia?” Many of us were told that dyslexia means a child reverses letters and words; some were told that the letters “move around on the page.” Learn the truth about the most common reading problems experienced by children and why many of our schools aren’t addressing the situation properly.
- Tuesday October 4th, 2011 at 7:00 pm — “Solving Reading Problems.” If you are the parent of a child who struggles with reading, you will want to know about the most effective approaches to teaching reading.
- Tuesday October 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm — “Understanding the Problems of ADHD Children (Part I of a series). We parents can’t be effective advocates and coaches for our ADHD children unless we truly understand the reasons for their reactions and behaviors.
- Tuesday November 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm — “Improving Self-Management Skills for ADHD Students (Part II of a series). In this presentation, Oremus builds on the information of the previous seminar, discussing techniques for teaching self-management at home and at school.
- Tuesday December 13, 2011 at 7:00 pm — “How to Get High School to Work for ADHD Students (and How to get ADHD Students to Work in High School).” Hear about how the social and academic demands of high school — and the reality of being a student with ADHD — requires thoughtful and unique management plans and how to set them in motion.
- To see the schedule for the entire year, go to www.marburnacademy.org
These Community Parent Seminars are presented each school year and are free to central Ohio parents, whether or not their child is a student at Marburn. (The fee for professionals is $40 per seminar.)
The presenter is Marburn Headmaster Earl B. Oremus. a nationally recognized leader in developing methods for helping nontraditional learners acquire academic and social skills. Oremus has been at the helm of the Academy for the past 23 years.
All seminars are held at Marburn and begin at 7:00 pm. Reservations are required: please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 614-433-0822.
tutoring in Columbus OH: Adrienne Edwards 614-579-6021 or email email@example.com