other topics: use search box or click a “category”
The Library of Congress is now accepting applications for its 2011 Summer Institutes in Washington D.C.
The five-day institutes will provide educators with the tools and resources to effectively integrate primary sources into classroom teaching.
In the Institutes, Library of Congress education specialists will instruct participants in the best practices for using primary sources in the K-12 classroom. In addition, these specialists will help them explore some of the millions of digitized primary sources available on the Library’s Web site.
All sessions will expose participants to a wide variety of primary sources from the Library’s collections.
Note that Session 4, July 11-15, 2011, will focus specifically on the use of Civil War primary sources. Participants will be able to work with teachers from around the ocuntry to explore methods for effectively integrating primary sources into classroom activities.
After participating in the Summer Teacher Institutes, participants will:
- Know how to access primary sources from the Library of Congress
- Become skilled at analyzing primary sources of different formats
- Learn various teaching strategies for using primary sources in the classroom
- Gain skills in the use of primary sources to enable student engagement, critical thinking and construction of their own knowledge
- Develop a Primary Source Project Plan that will be implemented in the participant’s instructional setting
Following up, participants will
- Continue work on their Primary Source Project and share their results with Library staff
- Implement a Primary Source Project Plan in the participant’s instructional session
- Have the option of obtaining 3 graduate credits (for a fee) from George Mason University for completing all Summer Teacher Institute requirements
Dates of 2011 Summer Institutes
- Session 1 — May 23-27
- Session 2 — June 6-10
- Session 3 — June 13-17
- Session 4 — July 11-15 (Civil War focus)
- Session 5 — July 18-22
- Session 6 — August 1-5
- Session 7 — August 8-12
Application Deadline: February 4, 2011
tutoring in Columbus OH: Adrienne Edwards 614-579-6021 or email firstname.lastname@example.org