other topics: click a “category” or use search box
The Academy of American Poets is offering a series of events exploring the landscape of contemporary poetry in America.
A Forum on October 28-30, 2010 in New York City will feature in depth discussions with an array of distinguished poets; readings, lectures, publication parties, and a selection of literary walking tours throughout Manhattan led by poets.
- Poets Forum Reading — Thursday Oct 28; an evening of acclaimed poets together on one stage to read from their latest work. Victor Hernandez Cruz, Rita Dove, Marilyn Hacker, Lyn Hejinian, Edward Hirsch, Naomi Shihab Nye, Sharon Olds, Ron Padgett, Marie Ponsot, Carl Phillips, Robert Pinsky, Kay Ryan, Gerald Stern, CK Williams.
- Poetry Walking Tours — Friday Oct 29; walk the streets traversed by Walt Whitman, Marianne Moore, EE Cummings, Langston Hughes, and countless others. Tours will explore the literary history of Harlem, the West Village, the Museum of Modern Art, and SoHo.
- Emerging Poets Panel — Friday Oct. 29; five of today’s most exciting young poets discuss the uses of irony and sincerity in their poems and in the work of poets who have shaped their aesthetics and poetry. Jericho Brown, Tina Chang, Olena Kalytiak Davis, Meghan O’Rourke, Mark Wunderlich.
- The Blaney lecture — Friday, Oct 29; internationally acclaimed poet Anne Carson presents a lecture on forms of contempt in Homer’s Odyssey, Moravia’s Il Disprezzo, and Jean-Luc Godard’s Le Mepris.
- Poets Awards Ceremony — Friday Oct 29; celebrate recipients of the premier collection of awards for poetry in the United States. Includes readings and presentations by Galway Kinnell, Khaled Mattawa, Stephen Kessler, Carl Adamshick and others, followed by a reception.
- Poets Forum Discussions on Contemporary Poetry — Oct 30; a series of intimate talks in which some of the most renouwned poets of our time examine issues central to poetry today. Victor Hernandez Cruz, Rita Dove, Marilyn Hacker, Lyn Hejinian, Edward Hirsch, Naomi Shihab Nye, Sharon Olds, Ron Padgett, Marie Ponsot, Carl Phillips, Robert Pinsky, Kay Ryan, Gerald Stern, CK Williams and others wil discuss topics such as “Punctuation & the Imagination,” “Silence & Interruption,” “The Mystical in the Mundane,” and “The Poet as Translator.”
- American Poet Publication Party — Oct 30; reading and reception for the new fall issue of American Poet, the journal of the Academy of American Poets. Julie Carr, Prageeta Sharma, and Wayne Koestenbaum will read from their work.
According to poet Robert Hass,
This gathering of poets from all over the country and from many sets of aesthetics and practices in the fall in Manhattan, when the air was cold and Central Park glistening, felt like something between an updraft and a feast.
And Rita Dove,
The Poets Forum is a true assembly of minds, a marketplace of ideas. You’ll find no posturing or pronouncements, no peacocks or princesses — just poetry poetry poetry. Autumn is in the air; let’s go to the fair!
For more information visit http://poets.org/poetsforum , or cal 212-274-0343. Tickets are cheaper before September 15th.
tutoring in Columbus OH: Adrienne Edwards 614-579-6021 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.