other topics: click a “category” or use search box
The Academy of American Poets invites you to join them in New York City for the Poets Forum on Contemporary Poetry, a series of events exploring the landscape of contemporary poetry in America.
This year’s events will feature in-depth discussions with an array of distinguished poets, readings, publication parties, and a new selection of literary walking tours through Manhattan and Brooklyn, led by poets. For more information, visit www.poets.org/poetsforum .
- Thursday, October 15, 7:00 pm — An unforgettable evening as some of the most acclaimed poets of our day come together on one stage to read from their lates work. The Times Center, 242 West 41st St
- Friday, October 16, 10:30 am + 2:00 pm — Poetry walking tours. Take a trip down the same streets traversed by Walt Whitman, Langston Hughes, Marianne Moore, EE Cummings and countless other poets. The tours will explore the literary history of Brooklyn, Harlem, the Museum of Modern Art, the West Village, and SoHo. Tour guides include poets Anselm Berrigan, Jordan Davis, Bob Holman, Katy Lederer, Greg Pardlo, Tom Thompson and Monica de la Torre. Various meeting locations, TBA
- Poets Awards Ceremony, Friday October 16, 7:00 pm — Celebrate contemporary poetry and the recipients of the premier collection of awards for poetry in the US. The night will include readings and presentations by J Michael Martinez, Haryette Mullen, James Richardson, Avi Sharon, Jean Valentine and many others. Reception afterward. Tishman Auditorium, The New School, 66 West 12th Street
- Poets Forum Discussions, Saturday, October 17, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm — A day of candid talks as some of the most renowned poets examine issues central to poetry today. Participants will include Frank Bidart, Rita Dove, Lyn Hejinian, Edward Hirsh, Sharon Olds, Ron Padgett, Carl Phillips, Robert Pinsky, Kay Ryan, Gerald Stern, Susan Stewart, Jean Valentine, and Ellen Bryant Voigt. [Past year topics have included “Poems in Place,” “The Aesthetic Self or The Anxiety of the I,” and “Drawing from the Past/Breaking from the Past.“] Tishman Auditorium, The New School, 66 West 12th St
- Saturday, October 17, 7:00 pm — Reading and reception for the new fall issue of American Poet, the journal of the Academy of American Poets. Noelle Kocot, Robert Polito, and Brian Teare will read from their work.
Says Carl Phillips, “In only three years, the Poets Forum has become the poetry event of the fall, as poets (and fans of poetry) of all aesthetics celebrate and learn about what they all have in common: a desire to give life itself a shape through language.”
All-Events Pass Discounted to $85 until …
Until September 14, the $110 all-events pass is discounted to $85. Visit www.poets.org/poetsforum or phone 212-274-0343.
tutoring in Columbus OH: Adrienne Edwards 614-579-6021 or email firstname.lastname@example.org