other topics: click a “category” or use search box
From “Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children” by Jennifer Trachtenberg MD, here is a checklist of things a coach wants to know when you sign a child up for a sport.
- Name (nicknames)
- Birth date
- Results of your child’s sports physical (to determine overall health and readiness)
- Expectations (is this strictly for enjoyment or part of a long-term plan to achieve a high level of competence)
- Any health limitations (such as asthma or epilepsy; medications)
- Any injuries that might impede performance
- Any allergies (medications?)
- Child’s doctors’ names and contact information
- Emergency contact information (parents and another responsible adult in case parents can’t be reached –include their relationship to the family)
- Insurance provider and policy number
- Any commitments your child has (that might interfere with practices or games)
- Any additional information
In addition, here are some things to consider when you’re evaluating coaches:
- Coaches’ backgrounds — how extensive is their experience with the sport; have they had a thorough background check; are they good role models; do they motivate and inspire the team?
- Coaching styles — how competitive are they; will that approach mesh or clash with your child’s attitude; do they vigilantly follow rules, regulations and proper techniques; what is the practice schedule like and will it fit with your child’s schedule?
- Safety concerns — are they certified in CPR; do they lead warm-up exercises before practices and games to lessen the possibility of injuries; do they encourage extreme diets or performance enhancing supplements; do they encourage proper hydration during practices and games?
These and other checklists may be found and printed out at www.RealAge.com/parenting.
source: “Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children” by Jennifer Trachtenberg MD; forward by Michael F Roizen MD and Mehmet C Oz MD, coauthors of “You: The Owner’s Manual;” Harper Collins publishers. ISBN 0-06-112775-2
tutoring in Columbus OH: Adrienne Edwards 614-579-6021 or email firstname.lastname@example.org