other topics: click a “category” or use search box
Drums and Disabilities (DAD) is a non-profit organization that helps children and adults with autism, dyslexia, ADD, ADHD, Tourettes, Asperger’s, Asperger’s, OCD, and ODD to deveop and expand retention, coordination, self-esteem, and physical and cognitive functioning, according to the Web site.
Drum Therapy is “an intervention to provide the special needs community with the opportunity to participate in creative, verbal, and non-verbal expression.” The organization will license psychologists, school systems, occupational therapists, physical therapists, music therapists, and teachers in the DAD method.
The DAD segments strengthen cognitive and social skills and offer a valuable diagnostic tool. Participants meet goals and grow in self-esteem.
The site tells us that the DAD program helps participants to
- improve their ability to identify feelings and behavior
- improve communication skills
- channel and discharge strong feelings safely through rhythm
- gain valuable insight into feelings and maladaptive thoughts
- demonstrate improved fine motor skills, retention, and coordination
- demonstrate improved psychomotor skills
- demonstrate improved social skills through a group activity
- gain self-confidence as a major participant in artistic projects
- demosntrate improved tolerance for frustration
- develop personal expression through creative artistic effort
In addition, there is an evaluation component. A drum therapist is observing the participant in action, as well as the participant’s artwork, creative expression, verbalization, using the DAD Program Assessment.
And interdisciplinary conferences are held for parents, therapists and educators.
I just stumbled across this site. It sounds like a great idea. See for yourself and evaluate the usefulness of this non-profit organization.
tutoring in Columbus OH: Adrienne Edwards 614-579-6021 or email email@example.com