other topics: click a “category” or use search box
The Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators (AOGPE) annual conference is being held Friday May 1 (half-day) and Saturday May 2 at Harrah’s Hotel and Conference Center in Las Vegas.
The theme is Empowerment! for Teachers, Clinicians, Children & Parents.
Register by April 16 and save: call 845-373- 8919, or visit www.ortonacademy.org.
Keynote Speakers are
- Drake D. Duane, MD — behavioral neurologist, who established the Institute for Developmental Behavioral Neurology at Arizona State University. He is the immediate past president of the International Academy for Research in Learning Disabilities and a past president of the International Dyslexia Association. His address is titled: Dyslexia: Neurobiology & Behavioral Associations, a 21st Century View.
- Denise P. Gibbs, Ed.D — director of the Scottish Rite Foundation of Alabama Learning Centers; she is the author of “RTI in Middle and High School Structures for Literacy Success,” as well as “Leading the Dyslexia Challenge: An Action Plan for Schoolwide Identification and Intervention.” Her address is titled: Response to Intervention for Middle & High School Students: Frameworks, Assessments & Interventions.
- Tom Pierce, Ph.D. — co-project director of the Nevada Child Care Subsidy Project, and co-director of Project CONNECT; he is associate editor for “Intervention in School and Clinic.” His address is titled Post-Secondary Assistance for Students with Learning Differences: Creating Seamless Transitions.
Breakout sessions include
- Squaring Up to Math: Geometry — What is it all About?
- The Orton-Gillingham Approach : 3 sessions through the continuum
- English Isn’t Crazy — It is Merely Complex
- For Parents — moderated panel
- Advanced Writing I: Using a Taxonomy of Semantics in Creative Writing
- The ABCs of Education Law
- A Reading Evaluation that Guides Instruction
- Grammar I — Getting Started with Grammar: the O-G Approach
- Poor Readers + Advanced Orton-Gillingham = a Great Combination for Success!
- Squaring Up to Math: Rounding — A Skill Important in Problem Solving
- Reading amd Writing I + II: Perfect Together
- Teaching the Subject Matter to Students Who Struggle with Reading, Written Expression & Spelling
- Advanced Writing II: Scaffolding the Essay
- Why Teach Spelling?
- The How and When of Teaching Morphology
- Grammar II — Continuing with Grammar Instruction
- Leveling the Playing Field for All Types of Learning
- Squaring Up to Math: The Rights & Wrongs of Teaching Algebra
- Opening School Doors — An Orton-Gillingham Approach
- Mind versus Brain: The Roots of Whole language versus Phonics
- Empowerment with the Assistance of Technology
- Panel Discussion: What is the Academy?
You can email the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators (AOGPE) at email@example.com. Their phone: 845-373-8919.
tutoring in Columbus OH: Adrienne Edwards 614-579-6021 or email firstname.lastname@example.org