other topics: click a “category” or use search box
A forum on Contemporary Poetry is being presented in New York City in November, 2008. Hosted by The Academy of American Poets, it will take place November 6-8, 2008, at various locations in the city.
There will be discussions and readings with Frank Bidart, Victor Hernandez Cruz, Louise Gluck, Lyn Hejinian, Sharon Olds, Ron Padgett, Carl Phillips, Robert Pinsky, Kay Ryan, Gary Snyder, Gerald Stern, Susan Stewart, Ellen Bryant Voigt, and C K Williams — among others.
That is an impressive list.
- Thursday, November 6, 7PM: Poets Forum reading, with some of the most acclaimed poets of our day on one stage.
- Friday, November 7, 10:30AM and 2:00PM: Poetry Walking Tours, exploring the literary history of the West Village, Harlem, Walt Whitman’s SoHo, and the Museum of Modern Art.
- Friday, November 7, 7:00PM: Poets Awards Ceremony. Celebrate contemporary poetry and the recipients of the premier collection of awards for poetry in the United States. There will be readings by Lucie Brock-Broido, Louise Gluck, Eamon Grennan, Brigit Pegeen Kelly, Claudia Rankine, and others; a reception follows.
- Saturday, November 8, 10:00AM – 4:00PM: Poets’ Forum, a discussion of contemporary poetry. Some of the most important poets of our time explore questions central to poetry today. Four intimate panels will include Frank Bidart, Victor Hernandez Cruz, Louise Gluck, Lyn Hejinian, Sharon Olds, Ron Padgett, Carl Phillips, Robert Pinsky, Kay Ryan, Gary Snyder, Gerald Stern, Susan Stewart, Ellen Bryant Voigt, CK Williams. Moderators are Timothy Donelly, James Longenbach, Claudia Rankine, and Tree Swenson. This will be held at New York University.
- Saturday, November 8, 7:00PM: American Poet Launch Party. Reading and reception for the new fall issue of Americn Poet, the journal of the Academy of American Poets. Charles Bernstein, Major Jackson and Cecily Parks will read from their work.
Of last year’s forum the poet Robert Hass said, “Last year’s gathering of poets from all over the country and from many sets of aesthetics and practices in the fall in Manhattan, when the air was cold and Central Park glistening, felt like something between an updraft and a feast.”
For more information, or to purchase tickets online, visit www.poets.org/poetsforum . An all events pass is discounted until September 1st.
tutoring in Columbus OH: Adrienne Edwards 614-579-6021 or email firstname.lastname@example.org